Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Valentines Day

I am not a heartbroken soul, but currently in a happy relationship. I just needed to make that clear before I begin to write this.

In lue of the upcoming “holiday”, I have decided to side with all of the single ladies out there and bash Valentines Day.

Its not that I don’t like Valentines Day, actually, I quite enjoy it. As a candy lover, I fully enjoy devouring endless boxes of chocolate and candy hearts, rotting my teeth and fattening my body. I enjoy walking through a department store and seeing red hearts, velvet and naked babies with wings.

Valentines is named after early Christian martyrs named Valentine. In the middle ages, this “holiday” became associated with love after the tradition of chivalry developed. Today, Valentines Day is day when loved ones exchange gestures of love through cards and gifts.

Valentines Day cards have become extremely popular. Couples have begun to express their love through generic sayings such as; “Roses are red, violets are blue, your eyes are green, and I love you”. Honestly, that card doesn’t say I love you. Where is the emotion and true love?

“The U.S. Greeting Card Association estimates that approximately one billion valentines are sent each year worldwide, making the day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year, behind Christmas.”

February 14th has turned into a hallmark holiday rather than a holiday for love. Lovers focus more on material goods and gifts. Don’t get me wrong, there are still romantics out there who will take their significant other to a romantic dinner, however, the numbers are getting fewer.

I am not a person to hate on expressing love and emotion, but I don’t believe that love needs to be celebrated one day a year. It should be celebrated every day.

http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/Valentines.html

No comments: